A significant clinic location was created in the area between Spree and Ziegelstraße, which was created by the founding of the Berlin University in 1810. In the building complex, the main building in neo-renaissance style, built by the well-known architects Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden, and the famous rotunda of the lecture hall, in which Professor. Ferdinand Sauerbruch among other things performed his first operations on the “open heart”. The buildings were built between 1879 and 1883.
Over the centuries, the ensemble has been characterized by continuous rebuilding and remodeling. Preserving history, this tradition has been continued. After the Second World War, the southern extension was replaced by a modern structure. Urban gardens decorate the existing pavilions.
A timely redesign of the Gropius Ensemble was undertaken by architect Sir David Chipperfield, who also created the master plan for Museum Island.
After an extensive refurbishment and the construction of a new building on the Spree, the Gropius Ensemble now offers space for the German branches of Google and YouTube.